The job of a Web Developer is to create functioning web sites based on the designs and specification provided by the client or design team. They are responsible for all aspects of a web site, from what the site looks like and how it’s organized, to the programming needed to make the site run efficiently. As such, web developers must be fluent in a variety of different programming languages, including HTML, CSS, and Java. They’ll often work closely with web designers to produce their content.
- Experience using WordPress or other content management systems
- Experience using photoshop for editing visual media
- Good analytical skills
- Knowledge of SEO, or “search engine optimization”
- Responsive design
Most Web developers have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field from a 2 or 4 year institution. Some may also pursue Master’s or Doctorate degrees. However, it is possible to become a web developer without these credentials, if one is able to demonstrate the appropriate skills through other means, such as prior work experience or professional certification from software companies or professional associations.
Example Job Descriptions
The web team is housed within the office of Enrollment Management and works as part of a small, but sophisticated team of marketing and communication professionals that lead the College website, social channels, and enrollment-related print and digital marketing strategies. The web developer will report to the Senior Web Developer and assist with managing all aspects of the College website, from layout to function. The position requires evaluating user needs, where developer will strive to create sites that feature user-friendly design and functionality. Candidate must have a strong understanding of UI, cross-browser compatibility, general web functions and standards.
1. Responsible for designing, coding and modifying websites, from layout to function.
2. Evaluate user needs to develop visually appealing sites that feature user-friendly design and clear navigation
3. Ensures effective and timely production by working closely with members of the enrollment management and marketing teams to coordinate production schedules and complete projects on time.
4. Ensures web sites comply with College guidelines, are engaging and well-structured, and provide current information by regularly reviewing web content, updating or deleting outdated information, and adding new information.
5. Edits copy, manipulates photos, creates layouts, and designs using knowledge of industry standard office and graphic design tools.
6. Contributes to the success of the office of Enrollment Management by performing all other duties as needed to drive the vision, fulfill the mission, and abide by the values of the College.
1. Experience with C# and ASP.Net WebForm applications
4. Knowledge of SQL database technology
5. Experience developing professional grade websites that use industry standard coding and UX/UI principles
6. Ability to update, migrate, or generate refreshed content with correct spelling and grammar.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization (Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Web Design/Development or closely related field)
2. At least two years of professional full-time experience as a web developer and/or web designer